Basic Kayaking Skills
The only guide that applies the efficient techniques of science to recreational paddling.
* Features 130 demonstrative photographs and 30 charts and illustrations.
* Written by a veteran paddling coach and expert in kayak stroke efficiency.
* Advice from expert contributors throughout adds full range of experience.
The latest addition to the award-winning Mountaineers Outdoor Expert series, Sea Kayaking: Basic Skills to Advanced Paddling Techniques, offers authoritative advice for paddlers of all levels, from beginners considering their first gear purchase to competitive kayakers looking to perfect their forward stroke.
As a longtime paddling professional and National Team coach, author Dan Henderson draws from a lifetime of personal experience, teaching, and his academic research in exercise science to instruct readers on everything they need to know to get out on the water, including:
* Gear -- how to pick the right kayak for your body size, skill level, and lifestyle.
* Foundations of safety, how to plan and prepare, and must-know advice for assisted and self-rescue.
* Basic paddling styles to advanced techniques (side slipping, edging, bracing).
* Techniques for a range of conditions caused by wind, waves, currents, swells, and more.
* Expedition planning and camping.
* Getting the most out of kayaking for fitness.
“Dan’s participation in paddlesports is celebrated by a lifetime of contribution to the sport, friendships that span the globe and professional success across all disciplines of paddling. The opportunity to learn from Dan’s experience will only add to your enjoyment and success in the sport.” -- Joe Jacobi, Chief Executive Officer USA Canoe/Kayak